Re: PGSQL wins Linux Journal Awards...

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:03:53 GMT

Keith wrote:

> Hans Forbrich wrote:
>

> > b) The license is advocating "freedom of choice", not "free of cost".
>
> Which means you can disribute it for a price as part of a larger
> project. The BSD license is even less restrictive than GPL.

And you, not the originator, accepts the responsibility.

> > d) Freedom to instantiate 1000 instances, in many situations implies freedom to
> > be stupid enough to need 1000 instances. Cost of management may be a
> > consideration. But you knew that already, didn't you.
> >

> What if you had 1000 customers all needing their own private instances
> on their own platform in their own datacenter?

If you really need separation, go for it. I prefer to reduce the number of servers and the number of instances (and related support personnel) through the use of virtual private databases - if possible. In many cases (but not all) it is possible.

Sure - let the customer have full access to the servers that manage the OS and the application. But keep them the hell away from the database machines - that's what they are paying to protect!

Of course, then there is the idiotic idea of having the application and the database on the same server. Let's tune & secure that one properly! Seen that one & laughed all the way to the "performance tuner's" bank - definitely a case of "more money than brains" ... "never money/time to do it right up-front, always time/money to fix it." ... throw more hardware at it ... a vendor's dream! Received on Sun Jul 13 2003 - 18:03:53 CDT