Re: PGSQL wins Linux Journal Awards...

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:24:56 GMT

Keith wrote:

> Postgresql Relational Database Management System (free opensource
> competitor to Oracle) has won this years Linux Journal award for best
> RBDMS.
>
> So if you are still being a sycophantic, Ellison brown-noser, blindly
> and stupidly wasting your organization's money on Oracle, this is even
> more incentive to switch to PostgreSQL or put new projects on it.
>
> This post is not meant to be offensive but meant to be an objective and
> mature plea to Oracle users to break free of the servile and
> "fellatious" relationship with Oracle, that they are in today.
>
> http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6995
> http://www.postgresql.org
>
> Thanks

Thank you for your obviously professional and unbiased reporting. You appear to have a tremendous career ahead of you with CNN or even Fox News.

Please keep all these newsgroups to which you cross-posted informed of further breaking stories. Of special interest are stories about:

I'll be very interested to read these stories - about 5 years from now, when they become real. (Although I suspect that SAPDB will very quickly pass Postgresql.) But, until you have something intelligent to report, please keep it to yourself - your attempt at insults is not even worthy of "The Simpsons".

There is no doubt in my mind that Postgresql, like all other tools, has a place. And I do believe that there will be an Open Source RDBMS vs Oracle battle - very similar to the Windows vs Linux battle going on now - in about 5 years. And if Oracle stopped developing new capabilities it would sink very quickly. However, relative to a corporate or professional enviroment, you are just a bit early for that band wagon.

For now, however, the cost of hiring (finding?) developers to reinvent and maintain into Postgresql what Oracle provides natively exceeds the cost of the Oracle licenses. Once that's changed, I'll be happy to support it. Received on Sun Jul 13 2003 - 16:24:56 CDT