Re: PGSQL wins Linux Journal Awards...

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:05:48 -0500

Not sure about your company, but if I recommened this type switch in our company, a "nice treatment" would be to gradually find a reason to "get rid of the nut - me". A less "nice treatment" is they would almost immediately give my DBA job responsibility to someone else and I would be ... well doing something else?

I will not stoop to you low-level offensive comments. I will say I have heard a lot of good things about PGSQL. However, your post makes me think a lot less of it - if I have to hire/work-with people like you.

The descision today for enterprise RDBMS is either Oracle or SqlSever.

If anything like PGSQL draws a lot of converts from mostly 1 of these ... for example, llikely Oracle... then the end result would be the end of Oracle (or a lot less market share) and the market increase of SqlServer. Do you really think PGSQL has a chance to take large market share chunks from either of these 2?

So, your suggestion is like saying you want to eventually work on SqlServer (in the 1 example above). I personally think Oracle is a better architecture and prefer Oracle.