Re: Any reasons why not to upgrade to 9i

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 05:26:44 GMT

Tony wrote:

> I think your focus is somewhat different from ours. New features are great
> but we make decisions based on whether those new features will add value to
> our business. I am sorry to say none of the 9i new features are useful to
> us. We are not even using Java or any of the features you mentioned. So why
> all the trouble.

If you aren't able to leverage any features in 9i then skipping a few releases is probably legit. Note that some people think that "support" is also a feature.

My experience is that organizations that do not leverage any features of the product are
a) developing/buying a lot of extra software to duplicate [some of] those capabilities, thereby making the database environment even more expensive;

b) using 3rd party apps and following vendor suggestions blindly;
c) not appropriately licensed and not willing to rock the boat; or
d) being suckered by some other vendor.

To me, the whole concept of not leveraging what you've bought is similar to buying a wonderful car and saying we can't use the power windows or radio.

At the same time, I've seen organizations make business decision based on the concept of vendor neutrality. For a good discussion on that, refer to Chapter 1 of Tom Kyte's "Expert One on One".

Of course, others may have different experiences - YMMV. Received on Sun Jul 13 2003 - 00:26:44 CDT