Re: 8.1.7.4 + 2 patches hangs on imp, strange waits

From: Anurag Varma <avarmadba.skipthis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:07:03 GMT

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:91884734.0307111033.469d6c41_at_posting.google.com...
> All:

--snip--
> Oh duh, forgot to start listener. Should imp care? What would smon,
> pmon and those ipc messages be about? smon couldn't be doing it's lmt
> thing (only sort ts is lmt, and patch requires several bounces, didn't
> do anything before import).
>
> While I wait for customer to straighten out Oracle Corpse screw up of
> support contract yet again, anyone have any ideas?
>
> imp uses: fromuser touser ignore=y commit=y buffer=20000000
> Yes, exp uses compress=y, I do want to go to lmt's which is one of the
> reasons I want to go to 8.1.7.4.
>
> After bouncing the db, I still see those waits (with the seconds
> reset). What are they?
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://garry.to

Those waits are common. Most are idle waits. If you open a sql*plus session you will see sql*net message from client. The waits don't seem to be pointing to
any obvious problem.

Try this:
Run a trace on the session doing the import (using oradebug or dbms_system.set_sql_session_in_trace).
If using oradebug try event 10046 level 12. See what kind of waits that session is seeing in real time.

and since you have set commit = y ... check on that table: are rows increasing in that table? or is the session just hung? You can also check v$transaction (used_ublk) for more clues. Also: What kind of table is that? IOT? normal?

          Since the listener is down .. I guess you are doing the import locally.

          Make doubly sure that you don't have the archiver stuck (though you should have seen it in the alert log)

Then try bigger buffer size if its a normal table. Also, try following faster methods of import (like building
indexes later and after increasing sort area size). I think Connor's website has some tips on that (www.oracledba.co.uk -> Tuning).

HTH Anurag Received on Sat Jul 12 2003 - 11:07:03 CDT