Re: oracle loader

From: Svend Jensen <Svend.S.Jensen_at_it.dk>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:57:30 +0200

nick summers wrote:
> I cannot find any data that indicates throughput for oracle loader as
> a baseline. We are loading 20,000,000 lines (intending to do so
> daily.... ;-)
> It currently takes approx 12 hours - but I have worked at sites that
> have achieved the same level of throughput on similar servers (solaris
> 2.8 oracle 9i and gs80 compaq alpha servers) in far less time.
>
> Any guidelines would be much appreciated
>
> oldnicholassummers_at_hotmail.com

Use append instead of insert in the load.ctl. If possible set array size to (much) larger value. Commit rarely - if at all - until the load has finished. Disable indexes on load table, rebuild when load is done. Check the system_event (snapshot before and after), session_event (for load session)
and session_wait while loading. Get the wait metrics. Then you can see if it is buffer_busy wait, redolog copy, file i/o,..... When found - fix it and repeat this process until reached a goal load time (decide now - then fix), or you get a never-ending story.

regards
/Svend Jensen Received on Sat Jul 12 2003 - 10:57:30 CDT