Inconsistent SELECT results

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: 12 Jul 2003 00:30:15 -0700

Has anybody out there seen a problem like this one?

The problem in question happens only through the OCI, when I use SQL*Plus everything is fine.

My C OCI program performs 2 queries, as follows:

select count(1) from sometable where somefield='1234';

and a very similar statement:

select field1, field2, field3 from sometable where somefield='1234';

(there are 11 fields in my real query, the above is a simplification).

The "count(1)" statement correctly reports the number of hits, but when I request the actual data in the second query I almost invariably get a small percentage of the actual hits.

For instance, one of the particular query should return 910 records, but it only returns 11.

I am preparing a second Oracle server, to test the hypothesis of my first server having some corrupted file, but I wonder if any of you out there has seen this.

TIA, -Ramon F. Herrera

RedHat Linux 7.3
Oracle 9iR2 Received on Sat Jul 12 2003 - 02:30:15 CDT