Re: Discoverer

From: Connell <news_NOSPAM_at_mcmenamin.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:50:43 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3F0C3D4C.8C288B7D_at_exxesolutions.com...
> Andy wrote:
>
> > A little confused about Discoverer concepts.
> >
> > I have a database with multiple schemas. There is a need for reporting
> > (ad-hoc as well) against data in each of the schemas.
> >
> > Given this background...
> >
> > 1) Do you create a single EUL for the whole database or is the EUL per
> > schema.
> > 2) What are best practices when designing a Discoverer Environment.
> >
> > ENVIRONMENT:
> >
> > ORACLE 9.2 Enterprise Database
> > ORACLE Real Applicaiton Cluster
> > LINUX Red Hat Advanced Server.
> > Oracle 9i Application Server Enterprise.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> There is no single correct answer. You create an EUL that best fits the
> needs of those doing the reports. If a single report crosses schemas ...
> cross schemas. If not ... don't.
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

I pretty much agree...it depends.

But in general, from an ease of maintenance point of view, I would usually advocate creating one EUL per instance.

Then I normally create a single Business Area called 'Administration' that holds all the objects that I need to write the reports. Once you've built the complex folders etc that you need, create one Business Area for each logically related group of folders...so you might have 'Sales', 'HR' etc. There is nothing to stop you from having the same folder in multiple business areas.

Then use the security/privileges to restrict user access to those Business Areas that they actually need - I don't normally let anyone see the Administration BA.

hope this helps

Connell Received on Fri Jul 11 2003 - 15:50:43 CDT