Userid's/Passwords and Application Development

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Jul 2003 05:58:28 -0700

I've got a bunch of developers that think they need to have schema password to develop their apps. Not only that, but, they hard code the userid/password in their web apps. However, they are protecting the pages via Active Directory and a product called Directory Smart(DS). Being a DBA for over 5 years, I believe that how they are using the Userid/Password is not an idustry acceptable practice and that they really don't know how Oracle Security works. I'm trying to slightly change they way in which they develop so that any user logging into my DB's is not using a single userid/password(even if it is embedded). Note that when they enter the page, DS requires them in some manner to be a trusted user. My position is that DS protects the apps for being used by trusted users, but does not do enough to ensure protecting the database from a rogue user whether it be an internal or external user to the company. The passwords that get embedded appear to not ever change, which is bad. Another part of my position is that having this kind of setup, will never pass a real outside Audit.

What I'm looking for is any sites/documents/information regarding Industry acceptable practices in the use of Userid/passwords in Oracle Databases. If anyone has info regarding this, I would be grateful if you send me links or places to search. I'm also in the CYA mode here because what's going on is not acceptable, i.e. letting the developers be responsible for protecting the data.

My apologies it if sounds as if I'm venting.

TIA,
Pete's Received on Fri Jul 11 2003 - 07:58:28 CDT