TNS-12500

From: Darren <darrens_69_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Jul 2003 05:45:32 -0700

Noone replied to this on c.d.o so posting here...please help if you can.

Hi Oracle experts,

We are getting this error on our Oracle system. I've searched Google, MSDN, Oracle tech support and newsgroups to death, but our DBAs seem to have already applied all the solutions suggested. Here's the relevant part from the Listener log:

TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process  TNS-12540: TNS:internal limit restriction exceeded   TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
   TNS-00510: Internal limit restriction exceeded     32-bit Windows Error: 8: Exec format error

Oracle is running on Windows 2000 - dual processor machine with several gigs of RAM. The base error seems to be a Windows error 8 - "not enough storage is available to complete this operation" - if I'm reading the log correctly. Here are some facts:

The only thing I can think is that the Listener is using some Windows OS kernel object to communicate with the Oracle process (Semaphores probably?) and there is some system-wide limit on whatever those objects are, which the Listener is somehow exceeding.

Oracle technical support of course blames it on the O/S - "Oracle consumes O/S resources just like any other app."

We are going to reengineer the app to use connections more efficiently, but for now we need to put this fire out.

Any help much appreciated!

-Darren. Received on Fri Jul 11 2003 - 07:45:32 CDT