Re: Any reasons why not to upgrade to 9i

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:51:52 +0100

"Herman Rollfs of Roelofs" <roelofs223_at_zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:kilPa.4446$w3.1333828_at_zonnet-reader-1...
> Hi there,
>
> I am considering to upgrade my databases from 8.1.7.4 to 9i. It is easy to
> find reasons for doing so, Oracle provides plenty of documents, such as
the
> new features summaries for release 1 and 2. But it is hard to find reasons
> why I might not want to upgrade, Oracle certainly won't tell me (easily).
> Do you know of any reasons why I should not upgrade?

You have an application not certified for 9i. Of course come December you then have a choice between a certified app and a supported platform.

You are running into a lack of hardware resources currently. 9i will likely take more.

You haven't purchased a perpetual licence.

You will be the first person ever to run your app on 9i.

None of the new features is applicable to you. flashback query,RAC,583 archive destinations who needs all that?

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA