Re: Trigger on v$sql catalog table

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:49:48 +0200

"db dude" <db_guy_2002_at_yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:f4a8da28.0307102219.39d01c89_at_posting.google.com...
> Why is this a bad idea. Will it degrade performance or cause any other
problems?

> Auditing seems to degrade performance which I am trying to avoid or
lessen.

Because it is generally a very bad idea to try your own DDL or DML on data dictionary.
Maybe Oracle should have had prohibited that sheer possibility in the first place.
It would be re-inventing the wheel, and it is very unlikely that you can setup something *faster*
than Oracles built-in functionalities.
Or are You such an incredible guru that you are aware of all possible side effects ?
Your questions indicates that you are not. I could think of only a very few persons who are - excluding myself.

It is better to find out what is already there to be useful, and only if You are *very* sure
that there is nothing for You (which is very unprobably), then one might start thinking another way.
Unfortunately there is too much "I donīt know. Pity" := "Itīs not there. Dammit" all over the place.

So, using auditing is the best way. And You may *use* v$-views to setup your own auditing,
but *without* changing the DD itself.

hth, Jan Received on Fri Jul 11 2003 - 01:49:48 CDT