Re: load balancing on a multi-processorsysstem

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 10 Jul 2003 22:11:39 -0700

"Georg Walk" <Georg.Walk_at_cai.de> wrote

> We use a Windows2000-System with 3 processor. Most busy is one of this three
> processors. What can I do, to share the resources more symmetrical. Is this
> only depending of the operating system or can i manipulate the behavior of
> the system on the oracle-site?

That is correct behaviour for the NT kernel when dealing with SMP.

It DOES NOT "process balance". IOW, it does not balance a load of 60% as a 20% load per CPU for 3 CPUs.

It will stack the the 1st CPU to almost capacity. Spillover is then onto the next processor. And so it continues.

Think about it. Will it be faster running a 60% load on one CPU or as 20% on 3 CPUs. And think carefully (and read up on context switching if you don't know anything about it).

PS. As Sybrand mentioned, you can specifically make Oracle's configure "SMP friendly" by factoring in the number of CPUs you have when mucking about with the init.ora file. This will however not "load balance" the CPUs. *THAT* job belongs to the kernel and kernel only.

--
Billy