Re: ORA-27146 on init.ora PROCESSES

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2003 15:58:26 -0700

vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne) wrote in message news:<1a75df45.0307100151.9305c69_at_posting.google.com>...
> HP-UX 11 B2. Oracle 8.1.7.4
>
> I can not get the PROCESSES to beyond 50 in the init.ora without
> running into this on startup:
>
> 27146, 0000, "post/wait initialization failed"
> // *Cause: OS system call failed
> // *Action: check errno and contact Oracle Support
>
> I'm expecting to see a HP-UX error, but nothing (including alert log).
> I'm assuming this must be some kernel limitation. Besides, processes
> is set to 200 on another HP-UX box.
>
> Unix sysadmin is on leave. Any ideas where I need to scratch to fix?
> Have SAM without a guidance system - okay, a bad pun. No too mention
> that this will likely raise an alarm in some computer in somce obscure
> DoD/NSA basement ;-)
>
> While on the topic of HP-UX..
>
> Can the SGA be locked in memory (what HP-UX settings are needed)? And
> is it worth only when there is heavy paging?

init.ora LOCK_SGA, (along with PRE_PAGE_SGA to get it all together at instance startup). If you are getting into paging, you need to get your SA back from vacation or just throw more memory at it :-) swapinfo -a . There is a bit of trickiness setting the parameters for locking memory for the O/S if you change the kernel size, the default doesn't let anything run at all IIRC so your SA may have set things real close, or not. The whole system administration guide is available online at hp.com, although like any unix manual, you need to know where you are going before you get there, though it is more straightforward than most manuals. Search metalink for lock SGA in memory hp-ux and also Note:77310.1 Note:68105.1 for interesting reading. One key point in hp-ux is it requires lots of swap space to be dedicated (depending on version, google comp.sys.hp.hpux, I think, for info), but since you never should use it anyways it can be secondary.

Help for any hpux parameter can be gotten through SAM kernel parameters help, and I think the help is on hp.com too. If you are rebuilding the kernel through SAM do it on a test system first, it can be a bit confusing the first few times. Or at least backup /stand. There are some differences based on your hardware, too. man kmtune.

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=69200.1

> The usual pointers, blondes and Bavarian beer will be appreciated.
> Thanks.

"Bear Whiz Beer - it's in the water, that's why it's yellow!"

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/thu/business/news_1b10msft.html