ORA-27146 on init.ora PROCESSES

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 10 Jul 2003 02:51:46 -0700

HP-UX 11 B2. Oracle 8.1.7.4

I can not get the PROCESSES to beyond 50 in the init.ora without running into this on startup:

27146, 0000, "post/wait initialization failed"
// *Cause: OS system call failed
// *Action: check errno and contact Oracle Support

I'm expecting to see a HP-UX error, but nothing (including alert log). I'm assuming this must be some kernel limitation. Besides, processes is set to 200 on another HP-UX box.

Unix sysadmin is on leave. Any ideas where I need to scratch to fix? Have SAM without a guidance system - okay, a bad pun. No too mention that this will likely raise an alarm in some computer in somce obscure DoD/NSA basement ;-)

While on the topic of HP-UX..

Can the SGA be locked in memory (what HP-UX settings are needed)? And is it worth only when there is heavy paging?

The usual pointers, blondes and Bavarian beer will be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Billy