Re: How to select Dell based mighty server for Oracle 9i EE for Win XP?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:10:46 GMT

It's really hard to say what specs you need for your server without information like the expected amount of concurrent sessions, the expected amount of concurrent transactions, the expected amount of concurrent I/O, memory consumption, etc. Here are a few tips though...

Make sure you use XP Pro. Oracle will not run on XP Home. Since this is a server, you might want to consider Win2000 Server instead.

If at all possible, stay away from RAID 5. It can be a performance killer. ( http://www.oaktable.net/fullNews.jsp?id=8 )

How many CPUs were you thinking? And the more memory the better.

HTH,
Brian

Victor Slootsky wrote:

> In our shop one of the departments have a problem. Their current environment
> stinks. Oracle 8i is running on obsolete machine with very slow pace. They
> will get 9i soon.
> They asked me to select Dell based server for Oracle 9i EE with 4 disks and
> controllers with Win XP OS (and may be RAID 5). It is going to be a server
> machine to keep Oracle 9i and in addition about 40 other non-Oracle
> applications. I would like to get an advice where to start from. Not all
> information about these applications is available. So I prefer to write a
> quote for as much as possible. Sound silly, but it is true.
> The proposal will go on the boss' desk for the possible dollar's cut and then
> his approval. May be somebody tried to write this kind of proposal?
>
> Victor Slootsky
> victor.slootsky_at_baesystems.com
> 301-231-2496

Brian Peasland