Re: Compaq DL 380 And Smart Array

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 09:23:46 -0700

Andras Kovacs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a very dynamic database here that grows 400Gb per year. At
> present we have a Compaq DL 380 with 2 Smart Array 5300 controllers
> (each with 2 channels). We need a better throughput on the Raids. We
> have to stay with HP-Compaq products for corporate reasons.
>
> I was thinking about buying two Smart Array 5304 controllers ( with 4
> channels each).
>
> What other product should we have a look on ?

If you are stuck with HP-Compaq ... I'd be looking at something 64bit that runs a real operating system ... HP/UX.

At 400GB per year Intel based hardware isn't going to handle your needs unless you buy a lot of machines and go with Linux and clustering. I doubt any controller change will be more than a bandaid.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu