Re: billing cpu usage of a monthly basis

From: Hans de Git <hansdegit_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Jul 2003 00:46:59 -0700

Hi Roon,

> I am not sure if this kind of billing is smart to introduce here. There are
> quite some fluctuations between oracle server versions running the same
> applications. Some queries could easily use double cpu, otheres less than in
> older versions. How would you cope with that ? Besides that, if you are paid
> for cpu usage, you'd better quit tuning the apps ... ;-)

Because we all use the same instance, our customers will sometimes have to deal with a larger amount of cpu on their invoice, because of upgrades. However, their overall benefit will outweigh that issue. Just like in the mainframe world.

Now, about the billing itself. How about building a system trigger (thanks Pete, the suggestion about the aud$ tables was an oldie (before system triggers were introduced)) that queries v$sesstat before logoff? Seems quite easy. Again, that does not solve the problem of abended sessions.

Ronald, I agree that tuning would have a serious impact on our revenues. However, those 'customers' work for the same company as I do. I try to stay with the big picture....

Now the challenge is to map the cpu per session to resource manager consumer groups.....

Regards,
Hans Received on Wed Jul 09 2003 - 02:46:59 CDT