Re: ORA - 01555 rollback segment too old

From: Eric Parker <eric.parker.spamless_at_virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:29:38 +0100

"Maria" <evoradba_at_yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:351fd9d6.0307081752.72ea3340_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi all
>
> I have a database which is about 500GB in size, a tablespace for the
> ROLLBACK which is 40GG with 20 rollback @ 780MB each, then we
> introduce partition tables after about 2 weeks we start getting
> "ORA-01555 rollback segment RBS1 too old, too small" I called oracle
> support on this they are useless, they are just giving me notes to
> read, which most of them do not apply (I have a data warehouse db). I
> don't know what to do anymore? currently we are planning to hard code
> a rollback to this job which fails, which drop and recreates a
> partition table with 2 partitions, is there any issues with rollback
> segments with partition tables? should I increase the rollback's from
> 20 to 30 rollback segments? any ideas would be great, I'm running out
> of ideas as what to do next
> Thanks
> Maria

Maria

1555 errors are commonly caused by issuing commits while a cursor is left open.
Subsequent fetches are then in danger of receiving a 1555. If this is your case rewriting the code to close and re-open the cursor at each commit
will probably solve it. I realise this may be difficult but it ensures that the cursor
is based on the actual state of the database and not a snapshot that may be trampled
on at any moment.

HTH eric Received on Wed Jul 09 2003 - 02:29:38 CDT