Re: Upgrade database to 9i or recreate it?

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 00:48:54 -0500

Just my opinion ... (with flashbacks to the version 6 to 7 Migrate tool problems)...

We are planning on upgrading to 9i from 8.1.7 using a full export and then import to an empty database with pre-created tablespaces . At the same time, I will be changing to locally managed tablespaces from dictionary managed.

Unless you have a large database (hundreds of Gig), the export/import seems cleaner to me , especially if doing things like chaning tablespace extent management.