Re: ORA-12560: TNS: Protocol Adapter Error

From: dbuckingham <member8912_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:12:16 +0000

Originally posted by vipin_shar
> Hi dbuckingham,
>
> I am also facing the similar problem. I have 2 instances of 9i on same
> server. I am able to connect with one of them and connecting to other
> instance gives me ORA-12560. tnsping is successful in both the cases.
> only connection to sqlplus is giving problem. I saw that your problem
> got resolved, so can you please help me to troubleshoot the problem.
> Kindly let me know the steps you took to solve the issue.
>
> Thanks
> vipin

Hi Vipin,

Unfortunately, i am not going to be able to give you to much help here for i am still not 100% sure what fixed my issue. It was a weird one. The problem I had was that the machine is in a different location to where i am, so when i was onsite where the machine was, i originally got the issue when trying to log in via svrmgrl, one instance was fine, the other i got the issue with. I gave up on the issue while i was onsite and went home. I then tried to fix the issue via terminal services, but one thing i was to find out is that, if you try and use svrmgrl via terminal services you will always get this error for the communication protocols being used are different. In the end I rang the people where the machine was and asked them to reboot it and try again from their end and it worked, so i am not 100% sure what the issue was. Why work for them and not for me even though we did the same thing on the machine?

As indicated in another post, make sure that the oracle_home is set.

However my issues continue with environment, the TNSListener is not creating handles to the second instance if it is on auto startup in services, it has to be manually started. Oracle say it is due to memory, but looking into it, there is more than enough memory (RAM + VM) to accommodate this, so I am still not sure.

Sorry I cannot be of more help. If i think of anything i will let you know.

Cheers

Dan.