Re: Tru64 5.1 System hangs when creating Oracle data file > 1Gb - any suggestions on cause

From: James Blackmore <jblackmore_at_post.com>
Date: 8 Jul 2003 04:24:30 -0700

> > I don't know how to check patch levels, is their a Tru64 equivalent of
> > pkginfo ?
>
> du_patch will tell you the patch kit level.

Cannot find du_patch or dupatch on this system.

> sizer will tell you the version of the OS (More accuratly than uname).

# /usr/sbin/sizer -v
Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A (Rev. 1885); Wed Jan 9 13:46:01 GMT 2002

> What filesystem are you using (Advfs or UFS). You can tell by looking at
> the fstab (Entries of the form /dev/... are ufs, entries of the form a#b
> are advfs).

Filesystem is Advfs on a rack of compaq disks, I assume this is some kind of raid unit, as all disk activity lights typically flash for any file access, and this is supposed to be a high availability system.

> A total hang is more normally a hardware symptom, perhaps you could describe
> the hardware env a little?

This hang was reproducable on this Oracle data file creation, (file is actually created a few seconds before hang, and creating large empty files obviously causes no similar problem), so I am pressed to understand how this can be a hardware issue.

> But in the end all you can do is wait for it to happen again, type crash and
> log a call.

I really need to find and fix the cause before it happens again.

James. Received on Tue Jul 08 2003 - 06:24:30 CDT