Re: newbie - copying from test to production

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:30:56 -0700

Gabo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a production db running Oracle 8.0* and another db running 9i
> (the 8 & 91 have the same tables). I would like to make the 9i db my
> new production database. How do I get all of the table/record
> information from the 8.0 into the 9i...do I need to empty out the 9i
> and then export from the 8 and import into the 9i? If I have free TOAD
> is there a better way?
>
> Thanks

There is definitely a better way than TOAD though you have included almost no useful information from which someone could help you.

Is the data in the 9i database a key violation if you import from 8.0? How much data?
How many tables?
How much down time can be tolerated.

In general I'd just do an export followed by an import or dump the 8.0 to ASCII and bring it in with SQL*Loader but more information is requred to give a definite answer.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu