Re: High Version count in V$SQLAREA

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Jul 2003 11:46:06 -0700

srivenu_at_hotmail.com (srivenu) wrote in message news:<1a68177.0307070450.410a4be1_at_posting.google.com>...

> The following statements are coming from a client application.
> Now my question is why are the version counts high for the above
> statements even though they are using bind variables and no synonyms.
> thanks in advance
> regards
> Srivenu

Hi, Srivenu,

James Morle's Scaling Oracle8i pp.278-9 gives the answer. In short, there're two cases where the same SQL has two versions (called two child cursors in Oracle documentation; I think James calls them two bodies of the same cursor head). One is when the bind threshold differs too much. Say :1 in the first version allows actual values of length 1 to 60 bytes, while in the second version :1 can accept values of length 61 and 200. The second case is when the optimizer plan changes. It can happen under various conditions.

Yong Huang Received on Mon Jul 07 2003 - 13:46:06 CDT