Re: Upgrade database to 9i or recreate it?

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 18:13:43 GMT

You could also perform a manual upgrade.

I've upgraded many, many databases. It's the preferred method for most people whether you do it manually or use the GUI tool.

The upgrade itself does not induce performance problems. Most people who run into performance problems forget to analyze their objects to calculate the newest statistics. And they forget to adjust related CBO INIT.ORA parameters.

But before you do this in production, make sure you test everything in development so you can see if you will have problems.

HTH,
Brian

Joop Kaashoek wrote:

> We are upgrading Oracle to 9i, from 8.1.7. The options we have for
> upgrading the database are to upgrade it using the DataBase Upgrade
> Assistant (easiest way) or to create a new database, which takes
> longer. Are there disadvantages to upgrading? I heard that the
> resulting performance might be less than optimal for instance...
>
> Aplogies if this is a duplicate question.
> Regards,
>
> Joop Kaashoek

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com