Re: What is a UDT?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:22:19 +0100

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3F08D6F0.1D1D12F0_at_telusplanet.net...
> Ryan wrote:
>
> > looks like they snagged UDT from object oriented terminology. Where you
have
> > your primitive data types such as ints, chars, etc... everything else is
> > created by the user. then everything which is created by the programmer.
> >
> > however, considering that most oracle people dont have Object oriented
> > backgrounds, you would think they would beef up the documentation. Now I
> > remember skimming the Object Type docs, and I think I remember a
reference
> > to the term User defined data type, but they really should put 'UDT'
> > somewhere in the documentation to make it easier.
> >
> > btw, has anyone found the Oracle Object types(other than the arrays and
REF

> Biggest silliness I see with developers - reinventing data types - can be
> remedied with UDTs ...
>
> Q: how many variants of 'Address' definition can a company have?
> A: at least (# of programmers + 3) - assuming no 3rd pty vendors

Q: How many UNIQUE identifiers can any single entity have within an organization.
A: Number of systems which use the entity + N where N is number of design boards responsible for each application.

I think this occurs because

  1. each board must consider its app the 'master' for the organisation and therefore comes up with an entity id scheme, which sadly doesn't meet the primary key requirements of the actual app and so goes in a user defined field. If the board is responsible for 2 apps then they will choose a scheme that doesn't fit with either app.
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA