Re: sending an email from a table trigger (before inserting row)

From: Jeremy <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:16:25 +0100

In article <1a75df45.0307062152.145a6bbd_at_posting.google.com>, vslabs_at_onwe.co.za says...
> Jeremy <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk> wrote
>
> > I don't think Jon was necessarily saying that the trigger was going to
> > do validation per se - perhaps just that under certain data conditions,
> > he would like to be able to send an e-mail based on an update to a
> > table. If you read it that way, do you have the same opinion?

<SNIP>

> Know what we are at the end of the day Jeremy? Problem solvers. From
> DBA's to developers. What determines the difference between good and
> bad problem solvers? How well and to what extent a problem is solved.
> You want to tell me that that a crude method like send mail in a
> trigger can truly solve the problem, never mind that it will be
> introducing a whole bunch of other problems?

Hmm... interesting pov. I guess I just didn't see anything fundamentally wrong with the concept of sending e-mail from within a trigger - agree that if talking directly to the smtp server it is definitely a no-no, but as a means of creating a 'request' processed separately by a procedure under DBMS_JOB? Do you say that you should never initiate (by which I mean log a request for later processing) an email from within a DB trigger?

--

jeremy