Re: Lost Oracle connectivity

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 6 Jul 2003 22:40:23 -0700

"Ramon Mendiguren" <ramonmendi_at_euskalnet.net> wrote ..
> We have been working with Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 (Windows 2000 advance server) and
> a client (Win 2000 Pro). This two computer where in a NT Domain. This
> weekend we have put them in a Win 2000 domain, and in that moment the server
> and the client has lost the connection. Our new domain is "cikautxo.es".

Can be any number of things. What is the _exact_ error message you get?

A couple of things come to mind. Domain authentication (does the client has the required privs to access services on the domain controller?). OS Authentication (is the Oracle instance configured for that?). Is the listener service running? What does the Microsoft (poor) implementation of iptables say (check if you do not have that active and if active, what ports and IPs are being blocked).

And oh yes.. is TCP/IP even installed? You can run Microsoft's Domain Networking on IPX/SPX and NetBIOS as far as I know - both these support NetBEUI and that's all that's needed for the domain part to work..

What really bugs me.. consider it a rant and don't take it personal.. just how many so-called techies of today can not solve problems. Hell, that is what being techie is al about. Instead of determining which components are involved in the error chain (software, drivers, protocols, network, etc) and testing each of these in turn to see where the problem occurs... the new age techie wets his pants and pull his hair and moans "why me?". A simple ping from client to server and one from server to client would have made sure that there's IP connectivity. Just how hard is it to get a few neurons to come up with that?

--
Billy