Re: directio performance question

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 22:02:33 +1000

"Max" <trestusler_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5a4548ca.0307060356.2c4c2c8a_at_posting.google.com...

> without forcedirectio
> Elapsed: 03:01:32.08
> Then dropped the index, stopped orcle, unmounted the filesystems and
> remounted it with the directio option
> With directio
> Elapsed: 03:58:27.01

What you need now is to drop index, stop oracle, unmount fs, remount *without* dio, start oracle, then redo the first test. That will tell you if your first result was influenced by any pre-existing caching. I assume you have ALL tablespaces in this test fs? As in, data, index AND temp?

> WHy is an index creation taking more time with directio ?
>
> Solaris 8 latest patches and Oracle 8i

Try the above. If still the same conclusion, it beats me. Solaris has some weird things about it...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto