Re: ORA-01438: value larger than specified precision allows for this column

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 20:52:20 +0200

Oeln <ohmy9od_at_yahoo.com> schreef in berichtnieuws ffde43bc.0307031401.5e68c53e_at_posting.google.com...
| Okay, I've got an interesting issue:
|
| I've got a table, opt, in which I've got the following fields: Opt_ID,
| Optics. The Opt_ID field is a foreign key linking to the Opt_ID field
| in an outer table. The Optics field is a table (O_tab) of type O_ty.
| The Opt_ID field is identifed as number(10), & the Optics field
| includes the fields OID & Opt. OID is identified as number(1), & Opt
| is number(10,10).
|
| I'd like to insert the following info into this table:
|
| Opt_ID number(10): 100
| OID number(1): 1
| Opt number(10,10): 1000
|
| In order to do this, I'm inputting the following in iSQLPlus:
|
| insert into opt (opt_id, optics)
| values (100,
| o_tab(
| o_ty(1,1000)
| ));
|
| I get the following error: "ORA-01438: value larger than specified
| precision allows for this column "
|
| I get the impression that this error ought to indicate the information
| I'm inserting is incompatible with the identified format of the field.
| I've inserted info largely identical to this into other tables
| (including largely identical field layouts & identical insert
| commands) & I've not gotten this error. I'm at a loss..
|
| Noel Whelan

You must read about the definition of the number datatype. A colum definition number(10,10) means a *total* of 10 positions are available, of which 10 for the decimal part. You can't store value 1 in this field. Received on Sat Jul 05 2003 - 13:52:20 CDT