Re: Order of fields in a table.

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 18:20:30 +0300

Hi!

> some people might like it that way? Back in V5/V6 days
> I used to put optional columns last, but haven't noticed
> any advantage in later versions.

I've sometimes advised designers to put columns which most likely contain NULLs as last ones, that could save few bits.. (one byte saving per NULL column in the very end of table). Of course when you have last column non-NULL and all the preceding columns NULL, no saving is gained... But IMO the saving isn't usually so great that I should force using this kind of ordering..

Tanel. Received on Sat Jul 05 2003 - 10:20:30 CDT