Re: roumors about 8i desupport to come soon ...

From: Burt <burtpelt_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 3 Jul 2003 10:40:37 -0700

Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<3F042C6E.D95C63C3_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> It all depends on what your Oracle rep said about *not worrying*. After
> Dec 31, 2003 Oracle 8i will lose Error Correction Support which
> essentially means that Oracle will not fix any *new* bugs in 8i after
> that date. After that, Oracle 8i will be on Extended Assistance Support
> which means that they will only help you if you have a *known* bug. But
> it has been my experience that the first thing Oracle Support will tell
> you to do is to upgrade to 9i (or 10i) before they get around to helping
> you.

My experience with support is "it depends". In trying to resolve a bug, I could definitely see support saying to upgrade to the newer version or at least to the "terminal version of 8i - 8.1.7.4".

If you have a down production system, I have had the opposite experience where support worked with me on a desupported version throughout the night with a database recover.