Re: Major dissapointment

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:02:16 -0700

MK wrote:

> Hi group,
> The biggest dissapointment with Oracle so far:
>
> SQL> select count(*) from factTable;
> select count(*) from factTable
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
>
> This doesn't happen on other tables in the database,
> only on this table. It's absolutely reproducible, that is, it
> happens every time I run the trivial query above.
>
> It's a partitioned table, otherwise a completely normal
> table. I also have other tables in the same schema which
> don't cause any problems. Ora 8.1.6 EE on Win 2000
> Server. Any info on this error? Thx,

Don't be disappointed. This likely has less to do with Oracle than with the fact that you should not be running 8.1.6.

Certainly not without the patches to at least take it to 8.1.6.2. and preferably not at all.

Make sure you have the most recent patches for Win2K too.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu