Re: object naming conventions

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:28:47 GMT

And don't get me wrong, I think XML is fine for what it was designed for. But it seems to me that the industry is trying to make XML do more than its original intent. And I'm all for storing XML documents in a table in a CLOB column, if that makes sense for your application. But I don't understand why we have to create database systems that have tables with XML structure. That is essentially a hierarchical structure which we know has major shortcomings.

But I suppose its like this big push to make Object Oriented databases too. Some managers somewhere get ahold of the latest industry buzzwords and try to make it fit every solution. I'm now waiting for Bluetooth databases!!!

Just my 3.14159265 cents worth,
Brian

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> "Brian Peasland" <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message
> > Yeah, worked with ADABAS. Not a big fan of it. There's a reason why
> > heirarchical databases are no longer in fashion. And is anyone else
> > bothered by this trend of XML databases that smack of the old
> > heirarchical databases? Didn't we learn our lessons????
>
> I may not have been working in IT long enough to remember these systems,
> though I do recall ISAM databases, but yes it does bother me. A lot. We are
> adding tremendous layers of complexity and doing so in an uncontrolled
> unstructured way (or should that read flexible, self documenting way). I'm
> sure that it is possible to build scalable,robust, n-tier web service based
> stuff, but it sure looks overly complex and difficult to me.
>
> I'm also worried stupid about the security wisdom of putting business logic
> in text files and sending it through open firewall ports via HTTP/XML/SOAP.
> Someone big somewhere is going to come a cropper doing this stuff.
>
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK