Re: object naming conventions

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:40:53 +0100

"Brian Peasland" <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:3F02D840.60AC4BF0_at_remove_spam.peasland.com...
> I like the suffix idea too for constraints and indexes. One of our old
> legacy applications names tables really weird. Like CC_TABLE_TBL. Not
> surprising, this is our credit card table. But why did they put
> TABLE_TBL on the end? That's pretty redundant. A nice schema with
> TABLE_TBL on about 40 tables.
>
> Personally, I don't like to add any descriptor to tables or views. Why
> does the end user or application care if it is a table or a view, or a
> snynonym? It shouldn't. That's why we have this "transparency" thing.

we have a call handling system that appends _HDW to the end of every table *and* column. HDW being short for the application name. so instead of typing

select call_description
from call
where call_id=1234;

I have to type
select call_description_hdw
from call_hdw
where call_id_hdw=1234;

of course I *always* remember the suffix, not. GRRRR. But at least I know what app I am dealing with :(.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA