Re: object naming conventions

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:01:37 GMT

Yeah, worked with ADABAS. Not a big fan of it. There's a reason why heirarchical databases are no longer in fashion. And is anyone else bothered by this trend of XML databases that smack of the old heirarchical databases? Didn't we learn our lessons????

Cheers,
Brian

Billy Verreynne wrote:

> Nuno Souto wrote:
>
> > It's *never* been helpful for anything. I never understood this
> > "naming standard" thing. It reeks of the earlier DBMS systems
> > where this sort of stuff was needed. With modern RDBMS systems,
> > this hasn't been needed since the early 80s.
>
> Back in the 80's we did not even had a data dictionary. Special
> utilities had to be run (with complex config files) to define files
> (aka tables) and columns. For each column you also had to create a 3
> char code (unique within that file).
>
> Dealing with files as oppose to tables, made for interesting physical
> design implementations (you can only have a single record struct
> definition per file).
>
> Then you coded the following command block for something like a SQL
> select:
> XXXA71EAA1000EAA2000...
>
> Where XXX is db id (or something) you could ignore, A71 was a code +
> subcodes to say you want to select data and from what table, E meant
> projection and AA1 was the column you're projecting and 000 meant
> without any condition (I recall that a 501 was an equal sign..). The
> actual values (literals) were send via a pointer to a data block.
>
> Anyone else here worked with databaseses like "relational databases"
> Adabas and Sesam? :-)
>
> That of course was not half of it. Imaging the fun of having to write
> re-entrant Cobol code (akin to writing DLL's/DSO's in Windows/Unix)
> and coding command & data blocks...
>
> Yeah.. won't call it the good old days, but we use to bitch a lot less
> than some DB developers and administrators today.. ;-)
>
> --
> Billy

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com