Re: Index question

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 12:04:26 -0700

Harry wrote:

> I have a table containing 8 columns - the user can search on any of the
> fields and in any combination - how do you setup indexes to cope with this?
>
> If you create one per column how does this work when say 5 columns are in
> the where clause?
>
> Surely I haven't got to create one for every combination?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks
>
> harry

You don't.

One does not build indexes without a lot more information than you have provided.

  1. How many rows?
  2. What kind of data?
  3. Cardinality?
  4. What percentage of the rows will be returned with a query?
  5. Partitions?
  6. Nulls?
  7. Functions?
  8. Primary key and/or unique constraints?
  9. What is the response time without indexes?
  10. Explain plans demonstrating that indexes will actually be used by the optimizer

Oh at version version version. We can't look over your shoulder.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu