Re: sysadmin access

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 12:00:22 -0700

scott wrote:

> Our IS director is insisting that he needs sysadmin access to our
> Oracle Applications instance, I however disagree. Is there a good
> rule of thumb for who does and does not need sysadmin privs to the
> DB/Apps? I need some ammo.
>
> thanks,
>
> Scott

Why? Why does he think he needs access? If he just wants to look around CREATE SESSION and SELECT ANY TABLE are sufficient. If he wants to do something then it is a question of whether he is qualified. If he is qualified to do
things he should have the privileges required to do those things. If not ... absolutely no privileges should be given.

It is a question of security.
It is a question of data integrity.
It is a question of good business practices.

And he bloody well be prepared to clean up his own messes or fall on his sword if he makes a mistake. Just like
everyone else.

Without knowing how much experience he has, or what he intends to do, I don't think a specific answer isn't possible. Your post makes it sound like you think it is just about feeding an ego. And if that is the case he has no business holding his current job either.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu