Re: My database is too fast

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:16:26 +1000

"Teppicamon" <quicog_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bdrlpi$10h6kd$1_at_ID-162849.news.dfncis.de...

> Not at all, don't worry, I appreciate just exchanging ideas ;-) And as I

same here.

> Nope, the MV itself was 400 million rows... Hope the explanation I did
> before get to clarify this once for all... ;-)

Yes, it did. Thanks, I appreciate it.
Couldn't see where you were coming from.

I can think of a number of ways I'd have approached the same problem from Oracle's perspective, none of which involve MV's "a la Oracle". Which BTW are really good for: 1- Avoiding having to do an aggregate GROUP BY query

   on the fly on a large number of rows. 2- "Push" replication.
but really lousy for what you mentioned. Hence you not being able to make best use of them with Oracle.

I'd have simply given it enough indexes to do an on-the-fly join. And used parallel processing. Just a different approach to the same problem.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto