Re: question for daniel morgan

From: Phil Britton <phil_at_phil-britton.com>
Date: 01 Jul 2003 09:46:47 +0100

pheonix1t <pheonix1t898oi_at_iliiearthilink.eionet> writes:

> Hi,
> This question if for Daniel Morgan. I'm in Houston, TX and I'm trying
> to learn the applications development side of Oracle. I have 10 years
> of experience as a unix/windows systems admin and DBA - but no
> experience with development languages (just didn't get around to
> it...that's my fault!). I'm working on a project where I' working
> with my friends in NYC to install and develop an Oracle 9i application
> server. I've read all the docs for this procedure to prepare for
> installing the infrastructure, but I'm also curious to learn how to
> develop the applications (I'm going to be a "junior" developer with my
> friends in NYC who will actually be doing the work via VPN - I'll just
> watch and learn).
> I'm a student at the Univ. of Houston, I asked around for classes that
> deal with oracle development and java....turns out there aren't too
> many to choose from! I was told that this univ. is a Microsoft shop!
> They have tons of .Net stuff...but not that much in the way of Java or
> Oracle. This seems insane to me!
> So...after looking at the link that you have for the Univ. of
> Washington....could you recommend books that deal with learning Java
> and oracle applications development? If you could, please state which
> books are used for class :)
> I'm really eager to learn oracle applications development - even if
> the local university doesn't teach it!
>
> Thank you,
>
> Oskar
>
> ps. I tried looking at the UW site to see if I could do distance
> training for the oracle development classes...but when I looked, it
> said they were only local where you have to physically attend....maybe
> it will change soon?
> I've also looked at other universities in Houston...they do have
> oracle development training..but most of them are boot camp style -
> just a few weeks! This is very heavy material, I doubt I'll be able
> to get much out of it in a cram style class. For this sort of
> material which I consider very serious - I'd much rather prefer the
> traditional semester class approach - like Univ. of Wash. has!!!

If you decide that you want/need/are required to do application development for an oracle RDBMS. It's important that you first learn Java. Another poster recommends the Bruce Eckel books abnd I wouldn't disagree there. Once you've got the hang of Java you could use JDeveloper, which is well-intgrated with Oracle, as a developement environment and download the tutorials on using JDeveloper from the OTN web site. They cover most aspects of developing Java applications to work with Oracle 9i and 9iAS,

cheers

Phil Received on Tue Jul 01 2003 - 03:46:47 CDT