Re: dipendence between NLS_CHARACTERSET and NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET parameters

From: Cris Carampa <cris119_at_operamail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:32:06 +0200

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> No. Basically it says: if your database character set and your client
> characterset do not match, ie the database character set is a subset
> of the client, you will get conversion.
> Is your AL16UTF16 a subset of WE8ISO8859P1. Don't think so.
> If however your client doesn't support this characterset, you won't be
> able to store AL16UTF16 characters in the database.

Sybrand,

I'm sorry but I did not understood too well what you said. AL16UTF16 is a server characterset only, you can't use it on the client. What I tried to say in my previous post is that when you try to fill out NVARCHAR2 columns, the strings are translated into the server characterset first, then stored into the NVARCHAR2 columns. So it is impossibile to store, let's say, polish characters into NVARCHAR2 columns if NLS_CHARSET=WE8ISO8859P1 (I tried). This is an expected behaviour and it's documented in the "bug" I quoted. What I don't understand is what NVARCHAR2 columns were made for. Perhaps you can use them programming with OCI. But with "common" clients like forms90 or MSAccess they are absolutely equivalent to VARCHAR2 columns. At least, according to my experience and my understanding of the text of the "bug" I quoted in my previous post.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

--
Cris Carampa (spamto:cris119_at_operamail.com)

We are SCO.  Unix is our property.
Linux is illegal.  Prepare to be sued.