Re: question for daniel morgan

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 00:40:45 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3F009EF2.CC77A9D1_at_exxesolutions.com...
> pheonix1t wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > This question if for Daniel Morgan. I'm in Houston, TX and I'm trying
> > to learn the applications development side of Oracle. I have 10 years
> > of experience as a unix/windows systems admin and DBA - but no
> > experience with development languages (just didn't get around to
> > it...that's my fault!). I'm working on a project where I' working with
> > my friends in NYC to install and develop an Oracle 9i application
> > server. I've read all the docs for this procedure to prepare for
> > installing the infrastructure, but I'm also curious to learn how to
> > develop the applications (I'm going to be a "junior" developer with my
> > friends in NYC who will actually be doing the work via VPN - I'll just
> > watch and learn).
> > I'm a student at the Univ. of Houston, I asked around for classes that
> > deal with oracle development and java....turns out there aren't too many
> > to choose from! I was told that this univ. is a Microsoft shop! They
> > have tons of .Net stuff...but not that much in the way of Java or
> > Oracle. This seems insane to me!
> > So...after looking at the link that you have for the Univ. of
> > Washington....could you recommend books that deal with learning Java and
> > oracle applications development? If you could, please state which books
> > are used for class :)
> > I'm really eager to learn oracle applications development - even if the
> > local university doesn't teach it!
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Oskar
> >
> > ps. I tried looking at the UW site to see if I could do distance
> > training for the oracle development classes...but when I looked, it said
> > they were only local where you have to physically attend....maybe it
> > will change soon?
> > I've also looked at other universities in Houston...they do have oracle
> > development training..but most of them are boot camp style - just a few
> > weeks! This is very heavy material, I doubt I'll be able to get much
> > out of it in a cram style class. For this sort of material which I
> > consider very serious - I'd much rather prefer the traditional semester
> > class approach - like Univ. of Wash. has!!!
>
> We are just a few miles from Microsoft's Redmond campus and I've taught in
> both Mary Gates Hall, named by Bill after his mother, and the Paul G.
Allen
> Computer Science building, named by Paul, I presume, after himself. So,
of
> course, we teach Oracle rather than .NeT. BTW both are beautiful buildings
> with the best possible facilities. For that I thank them both.
>
> Back to your question ... Oracle can be front-ended with many tools not
just
> Java. You can use the built-in packages HTP and HTF to dynamically output
> HTML from stored procedures. You can connect via JDBC and ODBC with
> everything from Acces to VB to ColdFusion to Java. And, of course, one can
> write using C, C++, etc. It all depends on what one wishes to accomplish.
> Oracle itself has JDeveloper for Java and Oracle Forms too.
>
> Before I could recommend a book I'd have to know more about what tool is
> being used in the development. Java is Java and I don't feel qualified to
> recommend Java books. Feel free to contact me directly off-line using the
> email address below.
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

www.bruceeckel.com

He gives his book 'Thinking in Java' away for free online. He also has 2 other java related books on there(one not yet complete). Ive skimmed those and they are quite good.

I dont know anyone dislikes Bruce Eckels work. It seems to almost be standard amongst Java developers. The meat is in the first 10 chapters. There is also a pretty good series of tutorials on sun.com in there java documentation.

one warning about the sun docs. They are very terse compared to what you wil l get on OTN. The specs for the classes dont have alot of details... so you will have to get used that. Received on Mon Jun 30 2003 - 19:40:45 CDT