Re: Recreating your control files

From: Quarkman <quarkman_at_nowhere>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:37:16 +1000

"Brian Peasland" <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:3EFAF17F.55C966C4_at_remove_spam.peasland.com...
> I create a binary backup of the control file and also dump the control
> file to trace. That way, I have both. In most cases, I use the binary
> backup of the control file. And in most cases, the dump to trace is only
> used as a reference.

Well, each to his own.

Since use of the binary backup in a recovery situation *demands* a 'resetlogs', which renders all previous backups and archives non-useful (unless you are prepared to jump through hoops) until you perform a new complete backup, the use of the trace file version of the control file backup is rather more than sensible.

<Deep breath>

There are no circumstances where you would use the binary version of the backup where you couldn't equally well use the trace file version of the backup, with considerably less cost to the on-going health and well-being of your database. Not to mention your DBA.

</Deep Breath>

With one significant exception: if you use RMAN, without a catalogue, then the trace file backup doesn't include all the repository information. And then the binary backup might prove useful.

~QM