Re: My database is too fast

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:49:06 -0500

--
"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message

> "Teppicamon" <quicog_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Not at all, believe me... We wrote one application using SQLServer that
made
> > some quite complex queries on a materialized view resulting of joining
five Wouldn't you have to use MVs for queries in sqlserver because otherwise you would have locking problems on the underlying tables ?
> > tables, one of them of about 50 million rows (guess the size of the
view,
> > then ;-) ). Results come to the web application users (with the network
and
> > asp interpretation overhead) in less than two seconds...
>
> I'd hate to think how long it would take Oracle if
> Billy had counted these using a MV... ;)
Probably takes Oracle about 50 msecs (milliseconds for you sqlserver users), especially if a sqlserver MV is the same as an Oracle MV ? The comment about 1 of 5 tables being 50 million rows means nothing. The MV could be 100 rows after doing the joins and then it's just a 100 row table (in Oracle anyway) ? So, then 2 seconds would be realllly slow , IMHO.

> > I must confess that
> > I'm quite happy with Oracle also, but I really think that in general
you're
> > really misleaded about what SQL Server can and cannot do with similar
> > hardware... or even with slightly worse hardware...
> >

> Narh. We just normally compare apples with apples.
>

> > Nah, don't think so... He's quite happy with what he's got. If not, he
would
> > just buy Oracle and rename it as Oracle.NET ;-)
>
> Yup! :D
>
> > some backups or creating logins... They just write good SQL and voilą!!
Good

> If only....
>

> > never let them try an SQL Server environment. You'd have to learn SQL
Server