Re: TNSLSNR crashes on Windows

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:55:07 +0200

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:38:00 +0100, "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:10:02 +0100, "Niall Litchfield"
>> <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >The USE_SHARED_SOCKET=TRUE is for use with a firewall. if you have one i
>> >suggest you see if changes have been made to it. otherwise i'd look at
>the
>> >network setup.
>>

>> The use_shared_socket = true is definitely not specifically for use
>> with a firewall. Also it seems to have been made obsolete in 9i
>
>Hi Sybrand
>
>Is USE_SHARED_SOCKET=TRUE used without a firewall between the clients and
>the db? If so why and under what circumstances? You will note that I didn't
>say *specifically* for use with a firewall, but that is the only time I have
>run across it.
>
>I wasn't aware that it was obsolete with 9i - but I expect that thats my
>ignorance showing.

Hi Niall,

I definitely can imagine using it without a firewall, though basically for administrative purposes: If you end up with many different connections, and the server itself is using many different ports apart from Oracle, and you want to identify the number of current Oracle connections easily (on the tcp/ip level) it should be advantageous to use this setting, as in that case you can easily grep or filter out the default port. The first time I wanted to apply it was for that purpose, though unfortunately it didn't yet work on NT

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Jun 27 2003 - 15:55:07 CDT