Re: Using ODBC

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:22:56 +0200

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:46:30 -0500, "Beebs" <ABieberitz_at_2tacweb.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure if this is the proper group to post this to, but I desperately
>need help and searched for days on the web to no avail. Currently, I'm just
>trying to set up an ODBC connection to my Oracle 8i database on a single
>computer and I have no domain name. When I go through and use the Net8
>Assistant, set up a Names Server, make sure my Listener is configured
>properly, along with my Service Name, I keep getting the ODBC error:
>
>[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
>
>I'm using the native Oracle ODBC driver in Windows 2000 and can't seem to
>figure out why I'm getting this error. Obviously I'm doing something wrong
>but have no clue where to even start looking. If someone out there has any
>idea what this is all about, or has a step-by-step tutorial as to how to set
>up a simple ODBC connection using Oracle 8i on just a single computer with
>no domain(I tried localhost, but even that didn't work), I'd very much
>appreciate it.
>
>Thank you,
>Aaron

First of all: you can resolve your service_name either through a nameserver or through tnsnames.ora. As you running ODBC on a local PC, and you don't seem to have a network of databases, you don't need the nameserver.
Secondly: if you are using the localhost as node name, you need to have localhost defined as
127.0.0.1 localhost
in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Thirdly: the error message means : I can't find the service_name you are providing either on the namesserver or on tnsnames.ora In tnsnames.ora a syntax error will also result in this message.

For now I would recommend you forget about the namesserver, simply stop the service, and set up tnsnames.ora appropiately. If you still fail we need to have posted the listener.ora
the tnsnames.ora
the sqlnet.ora
the service_name parameter of init<sid>.ora

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Jun 27 2003 - 12:22:56 CDT