Re: My database is too fast

From: Teppicamon <quicog_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:21:17 +0200

Comments inline... And please don't think I'm flaming, they're just answers from my personal experience with SQL Server, just as yours seems to be really good with Oracle ;-)

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:bdh2ud$s9f$1_at_ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
> Dear Comp.Databases.Oracle.Server,
>
> I have loaded 77 million rows into a single partition in a partition
table.
> The other partitions are empty.
>
> A "select count(*) from table" took 3.07 seconds. Neither table nor
> partition indexes are analyzed!! This is horrifying!
>
> I'm nervous to load the rest... will the database not be too fast?
>
> Will this not damage the Oracle perception of SQL-Server users?

Not at all, believe me... We wrote one application using SQLServer that made some quite complex queries on a materialized view resulting of joining five tables, one of them of about 50 million rows (guess the size of the view, then ;-) ). Results come to the web application users (with the network and asp interpretation overhead) in less than two seconds... I must confess that I'm quite happy with Oracle also, but I really think that in general you're really misleaded about what SQL Server can and cannot do with similar hardware... or even with slightly worse hardware...

> Will it not upset Bill Gates?

Nah, don't think so... He's quite happy with what he's got. If not, he would just buy Oracle and rename it as Oracle.NET ;-)

> And what about the developers? Pretty soon they could be thinking they
don't
> need a DBA anymore to ask for performance tuning assistance when the
> database is this fast.

Developers using SQL Server never needed DBA assistance other than restoring some backups or creating logins... They just write good SQL and voilą!! Good performance is there...

> Management otoh may expect this type of performance from my databases all
> the time!
>
> What to do!?

First of all, if they expect this type of performance all the time, never never let them try an SQL Server environment. You'd have to learn SQL Server administration (well, at least that's quite simple and you wouldn't have anything to do most of the time) or lose your job ;-)