Re: My database is too fast

From: Guido Konsolke <Guido.Konsolke_at_triaton.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:51:32 +0200

Hi Billy,
comments inline...

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bdh2ud$s9f$1_at_ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
> Dear Comp.Databases.Oracle.Server,
>
> I have loaded 77 million rows into a single partition in a partition
table.
> The other partitions are empty.
>
> A "select count(*) from table" took 3.07 seconds. Neither table nor
> partition indexes are analyzed!! This is horrifying!

de-optimize your load procedure, don't use direct path yada, yada

> I'm nervous to load the rest... will the database not be too fast?

Well, sell parts of your hardware. RAM springs to mind. Reduce settings for memory usage (sort area...)

> Will this not damage the Oracle perception of SQL-Server users?

Yep! Most definitely.

> Will it not upset Bill Gates?

Don't publish what you achieved. Keep it dark.

> And what about the developers? Pretty soon they could be thinking they
don't
> need a DBA anymore to ask for performance tuning assistance when the
> database is this fast.

Well, insert some dbms_lock.sleep(YourDecision) in program units. Avoid SQL statements from users.

> Management otoh may expect this type of performance from my databases all
> the time!
>
> What to do!?

Management expect ALWAYS miracles to happen, good work for no money, overtime 'cos your family doesn't matter...

> Yours Sincerely,
> A DBA in quandary
>

> --
> Billy

My deepest feelings are with you. May I be happy enough not to get in trouble like yours.

Greetings,
Guido Received on Fri Jun 27 2003 - 04:51:32 CDT