Default tablespace for a suer

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:29:58 +0100

Morning Tanel,

>> I think all quotas are zero by default, if not explicitly set when
creating
>> a user.

True, but see later !

>> The real problem is, that lot of people still use connect and
resource
>> roles, which they grant to all users.
Not me. I create a special role and grant that. Only the explicitly required privs are granted to the role - connect, resourcse and dba are granted to no-one !

>> The resource role has unlimited tablespace privilege and thats why
you got
>> lots of crap in system ts.

Yes I know, but I don't grant it.

Importing does this :

  1. Place objects in the tablespace they came from - if that is available and the user has quota.
  2. If (1) fails, place objects in users own default tablespace - assuming quota is available.
  3. If (2) fails (because user has NO quota in default tablespace) then use SYSTEM.

Note, this was true at version 7 when I first did dba and backup & recovery courses. I have come a cropper with this in the past, but I have not tested the 'theory' on 8i and 9i databases. It is also more likely to occur if the import is being done by a dba user.

If I get time soon, I'll have a test and see what occurs.

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar (at home on Linux)
Oracle_at_mssqlBountifulSolutions.co.uk

(Delete a Microsoft database name to reply - clue, mssql !)