Re: Viewing Data in the Oracle8i Database

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:11:27 -0500

Comments embedded . . .

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:42:59 -0500, "Burton Peltier" <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:

>You shouldn't be using root to install Oracle. You should have a normal
>Unix/Linux account setup for that .
>
>The system/manager should work, unless you changed the password which you
>should do anyway.
>
>To change the password of SYSTEM, connect using SYS with command = sqlplus
>internal
>Then enter at prompt SQL> alter user system identified by whateverpwyouwant
>;

You don't have to log on as SYS . . . . SYSTEM can change his own password. Unless, of course, SYSTEM can't remember his password to get logged on in the first place.

>I see other posters don't think using system is a good idea. I know using
>SYS is definitely NOT something you should ever do unless absolutely
>necessary like upgrades - or a quick password change from sys :)
>
>But, could someone tell me a good reason to not use the SYSTEM account for
>day to day DBA work.
>
>For easier viewing of data by those not familiar with Oracle's catalog,
>using a tool like TOAD (free version at www.toadsoft.com) is useful. But, it
>only runs on Windozes. Another good one for Linux is TORA .

If your working desktop is Windoze, it doesn't matter what platform your DB is running on. I'm administering DB's on NT, Win2k, Solaris, and AIX, scattered across 3 states. Use TOAD and DB-Artisan on all of them. To the DB, the admin tool is just another client app, so doesn't matter what platform it runs on. Received on Thu Jun 26 2003 - 11:11:27 CDT